ACTIVIST CLAIM: Environmental Defence claims that Line 5 is unsafe and that oil will spill into the great lakes.
THE FACTS: Enbridge is building a tunnel to cover the pipeline and to protect the great lakes.
Share on Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin!
Here are some facts to have a reasoned conversation about Line 5:
- Environmental receives millions per year in foreign funding as exposed by the Deloitte investigation from the Alberta Inquiry.
- Pipelines are the safest way to transport oil and gas products. On average each year, 99.999 percent of the oil transported by pipelines moves safely.
- Line 5’s Straits of Mackinac crossing remains in good condition and has never experienced a leak in over 65 years of operation.
- Nothing is ever perfect, and spills are always a concern, Yet this is why Enbridge is looking to make a routine replacement and upgrade of part of the pipeline. In particular, they want to replace the section of the pipeline that runs through the Straits of Mackinac with a new pipe that will be contained in a concrete tunnel to prevent spills.
- Interestingly, this report echoes comments by Michigan’s Attorney general which, while opposing pipelines, support using railcars and trucks to transport oil and gas – methods with greater environmental risks and emissions..
Stories that get it right:
A Michigan judge has ruled in favour of Enbridge Inc. in its long-standing dispute with the state over the Line 5 cross-border pipeline.