This is a news compilation setting the record straight on the day’s top anti-oil and gas stories and providing research and facts to counter misinformation about the oil and gas industry.
Foreign-funded Wilderness Committee comes out with another petition to get your information while misinforming you about LNG.
Tell your MLA to stop Tilbury LNG
Conventional knowledge and independent studies show LNG can help fight climate change.
- Experts such as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change(IPCC) and International Energy Agency (IEA) all agree that natural gas maintains a climate benefit over other traditional fuel sources, even at leakage rates far greater than what is currently documented.
- Tilbury LNG is the first facility that produced LNG for export to China. This independent study found that switching to Canadian LNG can be 62% cleaner than Chinese coal power in a country that represents 28% of total global emissions.
- Using the very same tool developed by the Pembina Institute that the Wilderness Committee cites for the figure of 2,000 new wells, Fortis found that Tilbury LNG can reduce global emissions by up to 800,000 tonnes per year despite the new drilling of wells.
- LNG when being used to fuel ships with measures taken to prevent leakage can reduce GHG emissions by 27% over the entire lifecycle. LNG use in shipping can also reduce nitrogen oxides by 95%, particulate matter by 99%,
and sulphur oxides to near zero.
- The Port Authority of Vancouver, which governs bunkering for LNG is following modern guidelines as a framework to ensure there are adequate safety measures in place to prevent incidents at Tilbury.
Here is a story that gets it right.
18% Of EV Drivers In California Switched Back To Gasoline Cars
While EV’s are starting to get more traction, there still remain many issues, especially around charging and mileage. This recent study from the University of California found that 18% of EV drivers who bought EV’s between 2012 and 2018 switched back. Conventional home charging doesn’t fill the battery as much as expected leading to reduced mileage.