ACTIVIST CLAIM: Article claims carbon tech is a false solution for climate and scheme to profit from climate change.
THE FACTS: Carbon tech is a proven climate solution – and could become a major economic industry for Canada.
Here are some facts and sources to have a reasoned conversation about carbon tech:
- According to the U.N.’s International Panel on Climate Change, carbon tech solutions will REDUCE almost as many emissions as renewables CAN reduce by the end of the century. Canada is a world leader in carbon tech which means we can CONTRIBUTE TO SUSTAINABILITY, and help out our allies.
- The International Energy Agency notes that when oil and gas are produced with carbon tech it can be net-zero or even carbon negative.
- Canada is already a leader in hydrocarbon production in terms of technology and ESG. A recent report from a global consulting firm, Wood Mackenzie, shows Canada is leading in carbon reduction tech as well. If all proposed projects came online, they could reduce up to 115 million tonnes of CO2, or 60% of Canada’s 2030 goal of 200 million tonnes reduced. This helps improve our emissions even more.
- Carbon tech is an emerging market that will help reduce emissions across the entire energy system. This is expected to become a trillion-dollar global market that activists will ignore as an opportunity for Canada.
- A full transition to renewables also has an environmental impact. Demand for minerals such as lithium, graphite, nickel, and rare-earth metals rising by 4,200%, 2,500%, 1,900%, and 700%, respectively, by 2040. This would require mining around the world at a historically unprecedented scale requiring new discoveries and technology to manage the massive environmental and social impacts.
Stories that get it right:
The love/hate relationship between oil companies and the world’s billions of customers is unique in the world of commerce.
Until recently, the plan was to replace oil and gas with no workable plan to replace their products.
Now people want more oil and gas production as quickly as possible. But not from Russia.
This stunning reversal is, at minimum, remarkable.