ACTIVIST CLAIM: Foreign-funded Wilderness Committee pushes misinformation about Tilbury LNG project
THE FACTS: Canadian LNG is a environmentally friendly way to supply energy to the world.
Here are some facts and sources to have a reasoned conversation about Tilbury LNG:
- The Wilderness Committee was ruled as an anti-Alberta energy activist group in the Allan Report and has been a frequent recipient of funding from foreign organizations like the Tides Foundation.
- Using the same tool developed by the Pembina Institute that activists us to cite an increase in natural gas wells, Fortis found that Tilbury LNG can reduce global emissions by up to 800,000 tonnes per year.
- Canadian LNG will have the lowest emission intensity in the world.
- Tilbury LNG has been in operating safely since 1971 in an industrial part of Delta surrounded by other commercial and agricultural properties, far away from residential areas. The Fraser River Port Authority has also developed strict rules and procedures for navigating the waterway for LNG carriers to ensure the safety
- To prevent negative impacts on the fish population, the Tilbury LNG project will restore fish habitats previously impacted by unrelated projects and will create new habitats to offset the impact from its construction
- The Tilbury expansion is expected to help supply ships with LNG for fuel. This study done by the Port of Vancouver found that vessels using LNG could reduce the noise of engines, thus reducing the impact of shipping on the Southern Resident Killer Whale population.
Stories that get it right
In a nutshell, carbon tech reduces, recycles, and returns emissions safely underground. It’s a technology that has been proven to be safe and effective. Millions of tonnes of CO2 have already been transformed into products and returned underground.. And it’s just getting starting.
Yet, like any innovation in our free market-based system, it requires incentives to further advance its development. That is why the tax credits that the recent federal climate plan and budget account for make so much sense. They will accelerate developments in this technology, making it cheaper and available to a wider audience.