ACTIVIST CLAIM: ENGO organizations promote anti-LNG campaign to prevent Canada from supporting it’s allies over climate concerns.
THE FACTS: Canadian LNG could not only lower global emissions, but also be net-zero by using carbon tech.
Environmental organizations representing millions of Canadians call on the federal government to reject new East Coast LNG export facilities due to climate-wrecking emissions and risks of stranded assets
Here are some facts and sources to have a reasoned conversation about Canadian LNG:
- Canadian LNG will have the lowest emission intensity in the world.
- GNL Quebec was expected to save 28 million tonnes of GHGs worldwide every year bringing more responsibly produced western Canadian natural gas to the world.
- Canada is a world leader in carbon tech, investing heavily to reduce impacts of oil and gas production and maintain valuable benefits. According to the U.N.’s International Panel on Climate Change, carbon tech solutions will capture almost as many emissions as renewables will reduce by the end of the century.
- The International Energy Agency notes that when oil and gas are produced with carbon tech it can be net-zero or even carbon negative.
- Carbon tech is an emerging market that will help reduce emissions across the entire energy system. This is expected to become a trillion-dollar global market that activists will ignore as an opportunity for Canada.
Stories that get it right:
B.C.’s environment minister has denounced recent acts of protest from environmental groups – including the return of traffic disruptions by old-growth logging protesters, as well as a series of tire deflations targeting SUVs in Greater Victoria.