ACTIVIST CLAIM: Article from far-left National
Observer calls Canada’s use of natural gas and carbon tech to produce hydrogen out of step with climate commitments.
THE FACTS: Canada produces the cleanest exportable natural gas, and combined with carbon tech, is the most practical path to zero emissions energy production.
Share on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn!
Here are some facts to have a reasoned conversation about Canadian natural gas and hydrogen:
- The EU recently declared natural gas as a green energy source, and Canada has a lot of it.
- Canadian LNG will have the lowest emission intensity in the world.
- The International Energy Agency notes that when oil and gas are produced with carbon tech it can be net-zero or even carbon negative.
- 95% of hydrogen production today is from carbon-based fuels like natural gas.
- The International Energy Agency estimates hydrogen from natural gas costs about half that of hydrogen produced from renewable electricity and zero-emissions hydrogen from any source is still zero emissions.
Stories that get it right:
“The fact is, First Nations aspire to be more self-determining. We understand better than anyone the toll that imposed dependency on the federal government has taken on our people and communities. The paternalism of the Indian Act, the bureaucracy of Indigenous Services, and the shackles of income assistance have sucked energy out of our cultures and our economies.”