Setting the record straight on the day’s top anti-oil and gas media stories
ACTIVIST CLAIM: Activist Progress Alberta director and Alberta Senate nominee candidate unabashedly slanders carbon tech claiming it is a scam.
THE FACTS: Canada is a leader in carbon tech, and current projects could reduce up to 60% of our 2030 emissions reduction goal.
Here are some facts and sources to have a reasoned conversation about carbon capture:
- A recent report from global consulting firm Wood Mackenzie shows Canada is leading in carbon reduction tech as well. If all proposed projects came online, they could reduce up to 115 million tonnes of CO2, or 60% of Canada’s 2030 goal of 200 million tonnes reduced.
- The International Energy Agency sees carbon capture utilization and sequestration as “offering the potential to contribute – directly or indirectly – to emissions reductions in almost all parts of the global energy system.”
- Activist groups like Progress Alberta have not considered a third option for the climate of transforming our energy systems with net-zero carbon tech. This is expected to become a trillion-dollar global market that activists will ignore as an opportunity for Canada.
- 200 million tonnes of CO2 have so far been permanently captured and stored
- The International Energy Agency even acknowledges that if oil and gas is produced with circular economy technology it can be net-zero or even carbon negative.